If you rely on a water pump to get your commercial water supply from a privately dug well, you should be aware that proper maintenance service is crucial to ensuring you get reliable service from the equipment. Several electrical problems may cause a well water pump to stop working properly or break down completely. When this happens, there should be qualified electrician on standby to solve the problem.
Here is a look at some typical electrical issues that may arise when you are using a well pump for your commercial applications and their respective troubleshooting and repair procedures.
If there's a loose or broken wiring somewhere, electrical power will not reach where it is required for the pump to operate. Using the pump installation manual diagram, inspect all wiring for tightness and damage, such as burns. A loose or damaged wire can lead to sporadic pump or other electrical failures. Loose wires should be rewired, while damaged wires should be removed and replaced.
The primary function of a fuse in an electrical circuit is to cut off power supply when a short circuit arises in an electrical appliance. This helps prevent overheating of the wiring and other electrical components, which may result in a fire hazard. If the fuse on a well pump keeps blowing, chances are high that faulty wiring or malfunctioning pump motor is responsible for the problem.
Before removing and replacing the blown fuse, it is vital to diagnose the cause of the problem first. Otherwise, the new fuse may also blow out due to the same problem. Such diagnosis calls for the expertise of a qualified electrician.
If your well pump is not getting enough power supply, use a multimetre or multitester to measure the voltage at the pump wiring or at the pressure control switch. Check the voltage being supplied to the building to ensure it is adequate for your equipment. If the voltage at the mains electricity is sufficient, be sure there are no loose connections and that you are using wires of the correct length and ampacity.
Faulty motor control switch
If your pump's motor control switch contacts look dirty or burned, the motor may no longer be protected against voltage imbalance as well as current imbalance. This can cause the motor to stop running, something that will also render the pump equipment inoperable. To prevent this from happening, you should regularly clean your pump's pressure control switch to remove dirt buildup, and also replace the switch if necessary.